Subject Knowledge Enhancement
Don’t hold back from applying for teacher training due to your subject confidence - you can top up your subject knowledge with an SKE. These fully funded courses are available if:
- It is made part of your conditional offer by your chosen ITT provider.
- Your degree isn’t in your chosen subject area, but is closely related.
- You studied the subject at A level but not at degree level.
- You have an unrelated degree but relevant professional experience.
- It has been some time since you used your degree knowledge.
SKE courses are available in: maths, physics, languages, chemistry, computing, biology, geography, English, religious education, design and technology, and primary maths. Lionheart Teach and Leicester University will identify your need for an SKE as part of our selection process, usually at interview. If we feel you need to enhance your knowledge, but have potential to be a great teacher, we will offer you a teacher training place on the condition that you complete an SKE course.
Tax-free SKE bursary of up to £5,600
You could get a tax-free SKE bursary of £200 per week to support you throughout the course. Depending on the course length, in total you could receive a bursary of £5,600 for a 28-week course or £2,400 for a shorter course of 12 weeks.
Delivery of SKE courses
SKE courses are available all over England at universities, schools, or with other organisations. They can be completed before, or alongside your teacher training and are available to study full-time or part-time, classroom-based or on-line.
For further information please search for SKE on: